Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Memories

I am sad to see that the Coney Island Mermaid Parade is taking place on June 21st this year, when I will undoubtedly be in San Francisco. In my sorrows I took a peek at Flickr and found this shot of our troop from the 2007 Parade:

Dill, Roomie, Allison, Heather, Lauren, Ruby, Glynis, Liv, Karen; photo credit 12by0

We were the "RIP Mermaids" mourning the death of Coney Island to condo developers (BK blog coverage here and here.) It took our large group a while to coordinate our theme, geniusly provided by Rebbecca Ritchie, with the costumes and props - tombstone picket signs and a life sized coffin. It was a hot day and most of us (save my teenage sister Hillary, thankgawd) were hungover from Talia's birthday. We were without water and little sunscreen. The train ride back to central Brooklyn was hell. I wanted to die on several occasions. Yet in the end it was rewarding to see such hard work, creativity, and group effort materialize into this great event shared with thousands of people doing the same. Sigh, I miss this homespun fun! I hope the SF LoveFest will fill part of this hole in my heart.

PS: To think! This was my (and several other's) first appearance wearing titty tassels in public!
"You've come a long way, baby" - FBS

No comments: