Thursday, June 19, 2008

Albuquerque, NM: Route 66

Route 66 cuts through Albuquerque in its trail across the Southwest. Fantastic and kitchy neon signs dot the path, keeping with commercial tradition in this region. Lights flash names of budget motels, restaurants, cars parts - in an ingenious effort to reach out to the traveler en route to his final destination somewhere else. Today my coworker Bill ate at an ancient dinner on 66 that served root beer still made in-house. The signs and their titleholders mark a place in Americana that can't be earnestly replicated with a modern hand, not that anyone bothers.

My favorite is the animated billboard of The Dog House - it reminds me of the Perry Cuomo song my mom used to sing to me when I was little.



(I love how the waggy pup gobbles sausage links!)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

very cute!!
amor --- i want to see your ladygunn article!
link it pls????

Ruby Fuerza AKA Lucille Brawl said...

the issue isn't out yet but you can see it on www.ladygunn.com when it is up! xx