Monday, September 29, 2008

FRIDACON 2008

Yesterday was the closing day of the Frida Kahlo exhibit at the SFMOMA and Rene Yañez's day long performance, Pasion Por Frida. There were about 20 of us Fridas in the show; some sang, danced, or recited monologues. Others, including yours truly, were cast for "Frida interventions" throughout the museum - we drank wine at the cafe to the serenade of a pair of violinists, walked around the exhibit halls, worked the coat check, and posed for A LOT of pictures. It was really fun but I was totally a grouchy/haggard Frida after 5 hours of staying in character.

I feel really lucky to have been able to take part in such a special performance (and get paid for it too!) This is an example of something that seems normal for me to do in my San Francisco life - and totally out of context of my New York life. I think it is the combination of the accessibility of the creative class in this city plus the relative abundance of time and space to make such projects happen. Or maybe its because I don't work emotionally exhausting 12 hours days bookended by hour-long commutes to Bed Stuy - zoiks!




The above photos are some that Phillip took at the end + one shot from a random dude. There were a ton of photographers at the event so I hope to post a few more pictures when I find them.

And on that note, I am officially Frida-overdosed!






No comments: